Why am I the poster child for discontinued categories? :-)

Why am I the poster child for discontinued categories? :-)

April 6, 2011 by , 7 Comments

Since I’ve been getting a ton of queries on this subject, I figured I’d put these thoughts forth… When I had the distinct honor of hosting the Grammy pre-telecast two years running, I was acutely aware of the sheer number of categories awarded on that day. The pre-tel would go on about 3 hours- and that is before the red carpet and telecast even began! So it doesn’t surprise me at all that this culling of categories was imminent. That being said, in my own category of Best Hawaiian Album, I must say that there was a lot of negativity and infighting in my hometown among certain other nominees that unfortunately found the national stage. And that perhaps may have contributed to Hawaiian being folded in with Cajun Zydeco and Native American music as Regional Roots Category. Or not?…. But, hey, at least they chose a nice picture of me holding my Grammy. In any case, my partners Daniel Ho, Amy Ku’uleialoha Stillman and I will keep in doing what we always have, and that is to make the best music possible no matter the category!

7 Responses to “Why am I the poster child for discontinued categories? :-)”

1. Dr. G 6 April 2011 at 5:29 pm #

I have to tell you that I spend most of my listening time with your music just enjoying the sound and the mood. When I put on my old bass player/sound engineer hat all I can do is smile and shake my head in amazement. I played a couple of your albums for a friend who has about 7 classical music CD’s to his credit(he’s a violin player), with the last couple albums suggested for a Grammy. He’s very critical and does put out great music. I was happy to be a part of the last 2 albums in that he brought the rough cuts over to my house to solicit my feedback and see how the cuts sounded on a really good stereo system. But that’s beside the point lol, I played him your music and he was very impressed with your voice and the production quality. BTW, he’s also a Karen Carpenter fan and his response to your version of Sing was “Nailed it!”. I can’t wait for the next project! Keep it up.

2. LiloStitchFan4ever 8 April 2011 at 7:50 am #

Aloha Tia! My name is Lauren. Although I like the Hawaiian version of my name, Laulena better. Anyway, I really love listening to your Hawaiian music. it’s soothing and calms me when I need it. Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite movies. My favorite scene is when Nani is singing Aloha ‘Oe to Lilo. When i First saw it, that scene made me cry, even though I had never heard the song before. Somehow I knew what it meant. When recording for Nani, were you able to meet any of the other cast members? I have your Hawaiiana CD and I love it! I especially love your version of Silent Night. I’m hoping to get your other Hawaiian CD’s in time.
    I wish you and your Ohana the best
    I hope to hear from you soon, but take your time
    Aloha for now
    God bless
    Laulena

3. markandjannette 8 April 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Can’t help but admire your positive attitude over this whole thing Tia. Its says volumes about you. As we have always felt – you rightfully won that award and all of Hawaii and your peers should be very proud of you. Rather sad over the immature grumbling that occurred. But, those that did it showed their lack of professionalism. More reason you and Daniel were the best choice. BTW – If you are still wondering why they picked you as the “POSTER CHILD” well, that’s kinda obvious don’t you think!? Take one look at your photo and Ummmm, that’s the best darn reason on earth to stop and read any article….you are impossible to ignore Girl!!! Turning heads is your calling card…. Love & Hugs – Mark & Jannette :)

4. Tia 12 April 2011 at 3:57 am #

Thanks for your supportive comments – all!

So nice of Reuters to ask me how I feel about this change in the award categories for the Grammys. Like I said, it is a shame that such beautiful, and more importantly, such distinctly different indigenous music now must all be throw into one lump category but hey, we keep on doing what we’ve always done…And that is to make the best music we can!

5. Tia 12 April 2011 at 4:01 am #

I’m so excited to return home to share our music at the University of Hawaii and spend Easter with family!

6. AnnAnderson 17 May 2011 at 10:55 am #

hello Tia
    where is contact to you because we have offer for you
    2012 Autumn project

I great

Anna Catherine Anderson lady Leinster
    /actress too and now writer too:)/

7. linkinchin 6 June 2011 at 4:54 pm #

It’s really a tragedy…I can not buy your CD in China.